FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum index » Science and Technology » Physics » Fusion
My hypothetical design of fusion-pumped lasers
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 3 of 3 [35 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page:  Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
Radium
science forum Guru Wannabe


Joined: 15 Dec 2005
Posts: 241

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My hypothetical design of fusion-pumped lasers Reply with quote

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
Quote:
"Radium" <glucegen1@excite.com> writes:

redbelly wrote:
"redbelly" <redbelly98@yahoo.com> writes:
Antimatter is far more interesting than fusion. Fusion is boring as
hell by comparison.


Sam Goldwasser wrote:
Why? We can make antimatter in controlled quantities. We can't do the
same with fusion. :)


For that matter why not pump with solar power, produced by fusion
within the sun? The zing and excitement of nuclear fusion, delivered
directly to your front doorstep! :-)

Mark

Great idea. Problem is, it will only work during the day, and that too
the clouds shouldn't cover the sunshine.

Hopefully, lenses and crystals can be used to concentrated enough
sunlight to pump the lasing medium.

No electricity required! Well, except for the medium's atomic electrons
changing energy levels.

They tried that in the earliest days of lasers. Pumping efficiency is
terrible. The Sun doesn't know that it's supposed to concentrate the
energy in specific wavelengths convenient for laser pumpoing. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/
Repair | Main Table of Contents: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/
+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm
| Mirror Sites: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included in the
subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

So I guess I am back at square one. IOW, use lasers pumped by
tritium-deuterium fusion.
Back to top
Radium
science forum Guru Wannabe


Joined: 15 Dec 2005
Posts: 241

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My hypothetical design of fusion-pumped lasers Reply with quote

Lostgallifreyan wrote:
Quote:
Sam Goldwasser <sam@saul.cis.upenn.edu> wrote in
news:6w3be59i86.fsf@saul.cis.upenn.edu:

"Radium" <glucegen1@excite.com> writes:

redbelly wrote:
"redbelly" <redbelly98@yahoo.com> writes:
Antimatter is far more interesting than fusion. Fusion is
boring as hell by comparison.


Sam Goldwasser wrote:
Why? We can make antimatter in controlled quantities. We can't
do the same with fusion. :)


For that matter why not pump with solar power, produced by fusion
within the sun? The zing and excitement of nuclear fusion,
delivered directly to your front doorstep! :-)

Mark

Great idea. Problem is, it will only work during the day, and that
too the clouds shouldn't cover the sunshine.

Hopefully, lenses and crystals can be used to concentrated enough
sunlight to pump the lasing medium.

No electricity required! Well, except for the medium's atomic
electrons changing energy levels.

They tried that in the earliest days of lasers. Pumping efficiency is
terrible. The Sun doesn't know that it's supposed to concentrate the
energy in specific wavelengths convenient for laser pumpoing. :)



Ok, so what if we convert? Solar energy to superheat water to steam, use
that to drive a turbine, store energy in a flywheel so it can be used at
nights too, then generate DC power coverted at >90% efficiency with
electronic charge pumps to provide a controlled current for lots of diodes?

Too much electricity. I was looking for something more directly fusion
or optical.

Quote:


That might seem boring though, it's too close to what we do already. Smile

LOL

Quote:


--
----------------------------------------
http://save.nazanin.googlepages.com/home
Back to top
Radium
science forum Guru Wannabe


Joined: 15 Dec 2005
Posts: 241

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My hypothetical design of fusion-pumped lasers Reply with quote

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
Quote:
"Radium" <glucegen1@excite.com> writes:

redbelly wrote:
"redbelly" <redbelly98@yahoo.com> writes:
Antimatter is far more interesting than fusion. Fusion is boring as
hell by comparison.


Sam Goldwasser wrote:
Why? We can make antimatter in controlled quantities. We can't do the
same with fusion. :)


For that matter why not pump with solar power, produced by fusion
within the sun? The zing and excitement of nuclear fusion, delivered
directly to your front doorstep! :-)

Mark

Great idea. Problem is, it will only work during the day, and that too
the clouds shouldn't cover the sunshine.

Hopefully, lenses and crystals can be used to concentrated enough
sunlight to pump the lasing medium.

No electricity required! Well, except for the medium's atomic electrons
changing energy levels.


They tried that in the earliest days of lasers. Pumping efficiency is
terrible. The Sun doesn't know that it's supposed to concentrate the
energy in specific wavelengths convenient for laser pumpoing. Smile

Sun is mostly white light. Whats wrong with that? Is there anyway to do
purely-optical
pumping????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Quote:

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/
Repair | Main Table of Contents: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/
+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm
| Mirror Sites: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included in the
subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.
Back to top
Lostgallifreyan
science forum beginner


Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My hypothetical design of fusion-pumped lasers Reply with quote

"Radium" <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote in
news:1150485081.943093.187430@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Quote:
Sun is mostly white light. Whats wrong with that? Is there anyway to
do purely-optical
pumping????????????????????????????????????????????????????


Like Sam said, most laser gain stages use materials that only absorb a very
limited wavelength. There is one though, iodine, that is often chosen
because of its many lines. It will output on just as many though, given the
chance.

In the end, what you're left with is a need to convert energy efficiently.
If you can do that it doesn't matter nearly as much what form you start
with. If you want exciting lasers, with high efficiency as well as a large
possible range of output wavelengths at high power, the last thing you
should be doing is to rule out electricity, because that's the best chance
of getting them.

--
----------------------------------------
http://save.nazanin.googlepages.com/home
Back to top
Sam Goldwasser
science forum beginner


Joined: 06 Aug 2005
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My hypothetical design of fusion-pumped lasers Reply with quote

"Radium" <glucegen1@excite.com> writes:

Quote:
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"Radium" <glucegen1@excite.com> writes:

redbelly wrote:
"redbelly" <redbelly98@yahoo.com> writes:
Antimatter is far more interesting than fusion. Fusion is boring as
hell by comparison.


Sam Goldwasser wrote:
Why? We can make antimatter in controlled quantities. We can't do the
same with fusion. :)


For that matter why not pump with solar power, produced by fusion
within the sun? The zing and excitement of nuclear fusion, delivered
directly to your front doorstep! :-)

Mark

Great idea. Problem is, it will only work during the day, and that too
the clouds shouldn't cover the sunshine.

Hopefully, lenses and crystals can be used to concentrated enough
sunlight to pump the lasing medium.

No electricity required! Well, except for the medium's atomic electrons
changing energy levels.


They tried that in the earliest days of lasers. Pumping efficiency is
terrible. The Sun doesn't know that it's supposed to concentrate the
energy in specific wavelengths convenient for laser pumpoing. :)

Sun is mostly white light. Whats wrong with that? Is there anyway to do
purely-optical
pumping????????????????????????????????????????????????????

That's exactly what's wrong with it. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/
Repair | Main Table of Contents: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/
+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm
| Mirror Sites: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included in the
subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.
Back to top
Google

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 3 of 3 [35 Posts] Goto page:  Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
The time now is Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:42 pm | All times are GMT
Forum index » Science and Technology » Physics » Fusion
Jump to:  

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Finding a Web Design Development with a Good Results lbardagol@gmail.com Math 0 Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:21 am
No new posts Cold fusion in hyper space? Fusion Fred in Fractallan Fusion 0 Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:49 am
No new posts Fusion experiments you can do The Real Chris Fusion 0 Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:54 pm
No new posts Latest Advances in Drug Discovery Design & Planning Methods The Ferryman Chem 0 Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:56 am
No new posts Why can't particle accelerators produce fusion? eastmond@yahoo.com Fusion 2 Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:04 pm

Copyright © 2004-2005 DeniX Solutions SRL
Other DeniX Solutions sites: Electronics forum |  Medicine forum |  Unix/Linux blog |  Unix/Linux documentation |  Unix/Linux forums  |  send newsletters
 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0239s ][ Queries: 16 (0.0039s) ][ GZIP on - Debug on ]