FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum index » Science and Technology » Physics » Particle
Nanotechnology is the ultimate cure
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 12 [177 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page:  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 10, 11, 12 Next
Author Message
Radium
science forum Guru Wannabe


Joined: 15 Dec 2005
Posts: 241

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanotechnology is the ultimate cure Reply with quote

Phineas T Puddleduck wrote:
Quote:
In article <1151329989.435651.325280@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,
Radium <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote:

When are you 13?

I am 22. I am also aware of a high probability of nanotechnology
providing immortality -- *not* invincibility -- to living organisms
such as humans.

Really? In what episode of Star Trek was this in?


Here's a hint - discuss the impact on Earth of an immortal humanity.

Well, how about making all non-human life immortal and ridding
non-human life of negative emotions? Us humans have traumatized other
species since our existence, it is time we do something to benefit
them.

Quote:

--
The greatest enemy of science is pseudoscience.

Jaffa cakes. Sweet delicious orangey jaffa goodness, and an abject lesson why
parroting information from the web will not teach you cosmology.

Official emperor of sci.physics, head mumbler of the "Cult of INSANE SCIENCE".
Please pay no attention to my butt poking forward, it is expanding.

Relf's Law?
"Bullshit repeated to the limit of infinity asymptotically approaches
the odour of roses."
Back to top
Radium
science forum Guru Wannabe


Joined: 15 Dec 2005
Posts: 241

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanotechnology is the ultimate cure Reply with quote

T Wake wrote:
Quote:
"Radium" <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1151329989.435651.325280@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Phineas T Puddleduck wrote:
In article <1151300473.631910.115850@b68g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Radium <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote:


Nanotechnology can do all that plus infinitely more.

It can block out the negative emotions in the brain while amplifying
the positive emotions.

Nanobots are heroes. Please make them.

When are you 13?

I am 22.

Seriously, how old are you? Your post makes me feel like an eighty year
old...

I am also aware of a high probability of nanotechnology
providing immortality -- *not* invincibility -- to living organisms
such as humans.

What probability do you give this? What time span and what testing criteria
have you used? (for example saying that over the course of the lifespan of
the universe, there is a 51% chance it will happen is a bit meaningless)


Why on Earth do you think immortality is a good thing and especially so if
you are going to modify the brain to block out "negative" emotions (welcome
to the Prozac generation)?

Immortality would spare us the sadness of losing our family members to
"old age".

Quote:

What publications have you gleaned these insights from? (Key hidden
question - are they scientific journals or science fiction books)
Back to top
Radium
science forum Guru Wannabe


Joined: 15 Dec 2005
Posts: 241

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanotechnology is the ultimate cure Reply with quote

Radium wrote:
Quote:
T Wake wrote:
"Radium" <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1151329989.435651.325280@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Phineas T Puddleduck wrote:
In article <1151300473.631910.115850@b68g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Radium <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote:


Nanotechnology can do all that plus infinitely more.

It can block out the negative emotions in the brain while amplifying
the positive emotions.

Nanobots are heroes. Please make them.

When are you 13?

I am 22.

Seriously, how old are you? Your post makes me feel like an eighty year
old...

I am also aware of a high probability of nanotechnology
providing immortality -- *not* invincibility -- to living organisms
such as humans.

What probability do you give this? What time span and what testing criteria
have you used? (for example saying that over the course of the lifespan of
the universe, there is a 51% chance it will happen is a bit meaningless)


Why on Earth do you think immortality is a good thing and especially so if
you are going to modify the brain to block out "negative" emotions (welcome
to the Prozac generation)?


Immortality would spare us the sadness of losing our family members to
"old age".

Oops. Stupid me. I already said that negative emotions would be blocked
and sadness is a negative emotion.

Quote:

What publications have you gleaned these insights from? (Key hidden
question - are they scientific journals or science fiction books)
Back to top
Phineas T Puddleduck
science forum Guru


Joined: 01 Jun 2006
Posts: 759

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanotechnology is the ultimate cure Reply with quote

In article <1151334270.257645.25170@r2g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Radium <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote:

Quote:
Phineas T Puddleduck wrote:
In article <1151329989.435651.325280@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,
Radium <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote:

When are you 13?

I am 22. I am also aware of a high probability of nanotechnology
providing immortality -- *not* invincibility -- to living organisms
such as humans.

Really? In what episode of Star Trek was this in?


Here's a hint - discuss the impact on Earth of an immortal humanity.

Well, how about making all non-human life immortal and ridding
non-human life of negative emotions? Us humans have traumatized other
species since our existence, it is time we do something to benefit
them.



Here's a hint to your stupidity... population rise.

--
The greatest enemy of science is pseudoscience.

Jaffa cakes. Sweet delicious orangey jaffa goodness, and an abject lesson why
parroting information from the web will not teach you cosmology.

Official emperor of sci.physics, head mumbler of the "Cult of INSANE SCIENCE".
Please pay no attention to my butt poking forward, it is expanding.

Relf's Law?
"Bullshit repeated to the limit of infinity asymptotically approaches
the odour of roses."
Back to top
Phineas T Puddleduck
science forum Guru


Joined: 01 Jun 2006
Posts: 759

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanotechnology is the ultimate cure Reply with quote

In article <1151334380.089550.36310@r2g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Radium <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote:

Quote:
Why on Earth do you think immortality is a good thing and especially so if
you are going to modify the brain to block out "negative" emotions (welcome
to the Prozac generation)?

Immortality would spare us the sadness of losing our family members to
"old age".

One word

Stagnation

--
The greatest enemy of science is pseudoscience.

Jaffa cakes. Sweet delicious orangey jaffa goodness, and an abject lesson why
parroting information from the web will not teach you cosmology.

Official emperor of sci.physics, head mumbler of the "Cult of INSANE SCIENCE".
Please pay no attention to my butt poking forward, it is expanding.

Relf's Law?
"Bullshit repeated to the limit of infinity asymptotically approaches
the odour of roses."
Back to top
jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com
science forum beginner


Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanotechnology is the ultimate cure Reply with quote

In sci.physics Eeyore <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote:


Quote:
jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:

Will it ........... curry a horse ?

Curried horse ?????

Graham

Best served with lots of rice...

curry (2) 1. To rub and clean (a horse) with a currycomb.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Back to top
mmeron@cars3.uchicago.edu
science forum Guru


Joined: 14 Sep 2005
Posts: 434

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanotechnology is the ultimate cure Reply with quote

In article <e7o9v6$8qk_004@s956.apx1.sbo.ma.dialup.rcn.com>, jmfbahciv@aol.com writes:
Quote:
In article <C5Lng.45$25.3454@news.uchicago.edu>,
mmeron@cars3.uchicago.edu wrote:
In article <1151300473.631910.115850@b68g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "Radium"
glucegen1@excite.com> writes:

jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:
In sci.physics Radium <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote:
Yes. Nanotech is the cure for almost everything. It can make life
eternal and can keep each and every portion of the brain eternally
active at peak metabolic rate.

GO NANO!!!!!!!


Will it drive a truck, pick a tomatoe, clean a window, fix a flat
tire, cure a hangnail, empty the cat litter box, relieve ragweed
alergies, change a light bulb, feed the dog, paint the house,
patch the roof, eliminate malaria, bring sanity to the psychotic,
stop diarhea, cook an exquisite agnello coi funghi, change the
sheets, diaper the baby, cleanse the palate, weed the garden, mow
the lawn, curry a horse, haul the freight, grease a landing at IFR
minimums, find where the yellow went, toot the horn, ring the bell,
raise the dead, bring world peace, bring in the clowns, solve a
crime, and most of all, will it give you a clue?

Nanotechnology can do all that plus infinitely more.

It can block out the negative emotions in the brain while amplifying
the positive emotions.

Nanobots are heroes. Please make them.

You must be either trolling or extremely gullible. If it is the
second, I've a lovely nanobridge for sale.

Is the maintenance manual written by Zeno?

He was writing it, promised to deliver when he finishes crossing the

bridge.

Mati Meron | "When you argue with a fool,
meron@cars.uchicago.edu | chances are he is doing just the same"
Back to top
Bret Cahill
science forum Guru


Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 480

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanotechnology is the ultimate cure Reply with quote

Quote:
Nanotech is far more efficient than genetic engineering.

Some categorize genetic engineering as a form of nano tech.


Bret Cahill
Back to top
T Wake
science forum Guru


Joined: 08 May 2005
Posts: 1978

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanotechnology is the ultimate cure Reply with quote

"Radium" <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1151334270.257645.25170@r2g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
Quote:

Phineas T Puddleduck wrote:
In article <1151329989.435651.325280@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,
Radium <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote:

When are you 13?

I am 22. I am also aware of a high probability of nanotechnology
providing immortality -- *not* invincibility -- to living organisms
such as humans.

Really? In what episode of Star Trek was this in?


Here's a hint - discuss the impact on Earth of an immortal humanity.

Well, how about making all non-human life immortal and ridding
non-human life of negative emotions? Us humans have traumatized other
species since our existence, it is time we do something to benefit
them.


Not really valid from a science point of view to ascribe either human
emotions or the notion of emotions being positive / negative (by human
standards) to non-human life.

Does a tree have emotions that a human would recognise? When a lion takes
over a pride and kills all the young belonging to the old alpha male, does
he have negative emotions about that?

Animals are animals, they think "differently" to humans. It is only a
problem when people try to make that term mean something more or less than
it does. Just because animals think differently doesn't mean they are any
better or worse as life forms.
Back to top
T Wake
science forum Guru


Joined: 08 May 2005
Posts: 1978

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanotechnology is the ultimate cure Reply with quote

"Radium" <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1151334380.089550.36310@r2g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
Quote:

T Wake wrote:
"Radium" <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1151329989.435651.325280@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Phineas T Puddleduck wrote:
In article <1151300473.631910.115850@b68g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Radium <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote:


Nanotechnology can do all that plus infinitely more.

It can block out the negative emotions in the brain while amplifying
the positive emotions.

Nanobots are heroes. Please make them.

When are you 13?

I am 22.

Seriously, how old are you? Your post makes me feel like an eighty year
old...

I am also aware of a high probability of nanotechnology
providing immortality -- *not* invincibility -- to living organisms
such as humans.

What probability do you give this? What time span and what testing
criteria
have you used? (for example saying that over the course of the lifespan
of
the universe, there is a 51% chance it will happen is a bit meaningless)


Why on Earth do you think immortality is a good thing and especially so
if
you are going to modify the brain to block out "negative" emotions
(welcome
to the Prozac generation)?

Immortality would spare us the sadness of losing our family members to
"old age".

And take away any need to bond as a family unit early on. What is the point
of "getting to know" your grandparents when they actually will be around for
ever?

The cycle of life is important for many reasons. What value is there to
doing things in your lifetime, when your life time is no longer finite?
Back to top
T Wake
science forum Guru


Joined: 08 May 2005
Posts: 1978

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanotechnology is the ultimate cure Reply with quote

"Radium" <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1151334891.212807.57320@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...
Quote:

Radium wrote:
T Wake wrote:
"Radium" <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1151329989.435651.325280@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Phineas T Puddleduck wrote:
In article <1151300473.631910.115850@b68g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Radium <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote:


Nanotechnology can do all that plus infinitely more.

It can block out the negative emotions in the brain while
amplifying
the positive emotions.

Nanobots are heroes. Please make them.

When are you 13?

I am 22.

Seriously, how old are you? Your post makes me feel like an eighty year
old...

I am also aware of a high probability of nanotechnology
providing immortality -- *not* invincibility -- to living organisms
such as humans.

What probability do you give this? What time span and what testing
criteria
have you used? (for example saying that over the course of the lifespan
of
the universe, there is a 51% chance it will happen is a bit
meaningless)


Why on Earth do you think immortality is a good thing and especially so
if
you are going to modify the brain to block out "negative" emotions
(welcome
to the Prozac generation)?


Immortality would spare us the sadness of losing our family members to
"old age".

Oops. Stupid me. I already said that negative emotions would be blocked
and sadness is a negative emotion.

You need to get over this fixation that emotions can be "negative" or
"positive" (in a "good vs bad" manner).
Back to top
David Bostwick
science forum addict


Joined: 03 May 2005
Posts: 78

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanotechnology is the ultimate cure Reply with quote

In article <iYedncCAboBvtD3ZnZ2dnUVZ8qSdnZ2d@pipex.net>, "T Wake" <Usenet.es7AT@gishpuppy.com> wrote:
Quote:

"Radium" <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1151334891.212807.57320@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...

[...]

Quote:
Oops. Stupid me. I already said that negative emotions would be blocked
and sadness is a negative emotion.

You need to get over this fixation that emotions can be "negative" or
"positive" (in a "good vs bad" manner).



But most of us will agree on the truth of the second sentence.
Back to top
Bret Cahill
science forum Guru


Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 480

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanotechnology is the ultimate cure Reply with quote

The worse thing about nano is you have no idea if they are really doing
anything. Sleazy types in academe are getting grants for doing very
little (no pun intended). When they are busted by the feds they just
tell the judge, "your honor, the stuff we're doing is VERY small.
That's why you cannot see it."


Bret Cahill
Back to top
T Wake
science forum Guru


Joined: 08 May 2005
Posts: 1978

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanotechnology is the ultimate cure Reply with quote

"David Bostwick" <david.bostwick@chemistry.gatech.edu> wrote in message
news:e7pb71$8a$1@news-int2.gatech.edu...
Quote:
In article <iYedncCAboBvtD3ZnZ2dnUVZ8qSdnZ2d@pipex.net>, "T Wake"
Usenet.es7AT@gishpuppy.com> wrote:

"Radium" <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1151334891.212807.57320@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...

[...]

Oops. Stupid me. I already said that negative emotions would be blocked
and sadness is a negative emotion.

You need to get over this fixation that emotions can be "negative" or
"positive" (in a "good vs bad" manner).



But most of us will agree on the truth of the second sentence.

(<pedantic>Do you mean second half of the sentence?</pedantic>)

I am not sure I do, I agree sadness is a sad emotion however I have never
really experienced it as being "negative."
Back to top
David Bostwick
science forum addict


Joined: 03 May 2005
Posts: 78

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanotechnology is the ultimate cure Reply with quote

In article <nYSdnXZz1ZQ2pD3ZRVny2Q@pipex.net>, "T Wake" <Usenet.es7AT@gishpuppy.com> wrote:
Quote:

"David Bostwick" <david.bostwick@chemistry.gatech.edu> wrote in message
news:e7pb71$8a$1@news-int2.gatech.edu...
In article <iYedncCAboBvtD3ZnZ2dnUVZ8qSdnZ2d@pipex.net>, "T Wake"
Usenet.es7AT@gishpuppy.com> wrote:

"Radium" <glucegen1@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1151334891.212807.57320@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...

[...]

Oops. Stupid me. I already said that negative emotions would be blocked
and sadness is a negative emotion.

You need to get over this fixation that emotions can be "negative" or
"positive" (in a "good vs bad" manner).



But most of us will agree on the truth of the second sentence.

(<pedantic>Do you mean second half of the sentence?</pedantic>)

I am not sure I do, I agree sadness is a sad emotion however I have never
really experienced it as being "negative."



No, the second sentence. The first is "Oops." The third refers to
blocking emotions.
Back to top
Google

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 12 [177 Posts] Goto page:  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 10, 11, 12 Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
The time now is Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:40 pm | All times are GMT
Forum index » Science and Technology » Physics » Particle
Jump to:  

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts The ultimate 3ality Relativity 0 Wed May 21, 2008 10:53 am
No new posts The ultimate 3ality Relativity 0 Wed May 21, 2008 10:52 am
No new posts www.laloorabri.com "ULTIMATE DATING SITE" laloorabri1@gmail.com Math 0 Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:44 am
No new posts Nanotechnology Sensitization Program nstcchat@yahoo.com Electrochem 0 Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:52 am
No new posts Nanotechnology Sensitization Program nstcchat@yahoo.com Analytical 0 Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:52 am

Copyright © 2004-2005 DeniX Solutions SRL
Other DeniX Solutions sites: Electronics forum |  Medicine forum |  Unix/Linux blog |  Unix/Linux documentation |  Unix/Linux forums  |  send newsletters
 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1542s ][ Queries: 16 (0.1259s) ][ GZIP on - Debug on ]