FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum index » Science and Technology » Engineering » Control
Alternator control problem
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 12 of 14 [210 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page:  Previous  1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
Author Message
bv
science forum addict


Joined: 16 May 2005
Posts: 59

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Roots of a polynomial Reply with quote

temper3243@gmail.com wrote:
Quote:

Can you please tell me how to solve the problem for degree 20 ? and
how to approach the problem for degree 4.

Jenkins & Traub's "rpoly" code, celebrating its 30th anniversary, is
your best choice. You will find it at,

http://netlib.org/toms/493

---
bv
------------------------------------------------------
Applied Algorithms http://sdynamix.com
Back to top
David Kirkland
science forum beginner


Joined: 04 Jul 2005
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Roots of a polynomial Reply with quote

Bob Cain wrote:
Quote:


David Kirkland wrote:

The DSP group at Rice University have published Matlab code for
solving high order polynomials.


http://www.dsp.rice.edu/software/fvhdp.shtml


Bob

Thanks Bob :)

As I recall the website also has their publications.

Cheers,
David
Back to top
Peter K.
science forum beginner


Joined: 15 May 2005
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Call for papers Reply with quote

iurs.info@gmail.com writes:

Quote:
The Intelligent Systems Society (ISS) is a new organization

I'd like to start the Stupid Systems Society, or the Sophisticated
Systems Society; just for the acronym (SSS!).

Ciao,

Peter K.
Back to top
Jerry Avins
science forum Guru


Joined: 03 May 2005
Posts: 534

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Call for papers Reply with quote

Peter K. wrote:
Quote:
iurs.info@gmail.com writes:


The Intelligent Systems Society (ISS) is a new organization


I'd like to start the Stupid Systems Society, or the Sophisticated
Systems Society; just for the acronym (SSS!).

You want to watch out. You might be drafted to sit on the board!

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Back to top
Paul E. Bennett
science forum beginner


Joined: 13 Jun 2005
Posts: 45

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Call for papers Reply with quote

Peter K. wrote:

Quote:
iurs.info@gmail.com writes:

The Intelligent Systems Society (ISS) is a new organization

I'd like to start the Stupid Systems Society, or the Sophisticated
Systems Society; just for the acronym (SSS!).

Sorry, SSS is already taken by the Safety Systems Symposium. ;>

--
********************************************************************
Paul E. Bennett ....................<email://peb@amleth.demon.co.uk>
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....<http://www.amleth.demon.co.uk/>
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095
Going Forth Safely ....EBA. http://www.electric-boat-association.org.uk/
********************************************************************
Back to top
Jerry Avins
science forum Guru


Joined: 03 May 2005
Posts: 534

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: how to wire Allen Bradley SLC500 to 120V power? Reply with quote

Orc General wrote:
Quote:
"Mike Lamond" <NOSPAMm.lamond@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:e2nWe.46617$qY1.7516@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

"Chad" <cteub@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1126812649.281149.300750@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

Orc General wrote:

I am trying to learn this PLC and need to wire it to the wall outlet
(120V).
Could someone please tell me how its done. I am confused mainly

because

the
connector shows multiple pins. Here is what I seen when I opened the
main
power source.


PWR OUT +24VDC
PWR OUT COM
120/240VAC
VAC NEUT
CHASSIS GRND


I have a feeling the last three must be it, but don't want to do

anything

stupid and fry the unit by accident.

Your feeling is correct, with a pre-made cord it should wire black to
"120/240 VAC" white to "VAC Neut" and green to ground.


You also need to make sure the 120/240 volt jumper is in the 120 volt
position. As always, more information can be found by going to
http://www.ab.com/, then following the links to Publications Library -
Manuals On-line.

Mike



Oh wait, isn't AC power source the same on either wire? Why is black and
white wire being differentiated? I thought the two are interchangeable for
AC power?
Suppose I don't have a premade cable but only a cable with the three prongs
(ie. your standard computer power cable). How do I make sure the right wire
of the three goes to the correct pin?

Power is traditionally distributed as 240V centertapped. White is the
centertap, at most a few volts between it and a water pipe. Black is
"hot". That's who polarized plugs are required. Sometimes, when both run
together, blue or red is the other hot.

It's all in the code, which is a good thing to know about if you mess
with the stuff. How much current is allowed in a wired circuit using #12
wire? How much is allowed in a #12 extension cord? (It's not the same.)
If such restrictions are ignored and there's a fire, insurance might not
cover it.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Back to top
Peter K.
science forum beginner


Joined: 15 May 2005
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Call for papers Reply with quote

"Paul E. Bennett" <peb@amleth.demon.co.uk> writes:

Quote:
Peter K. wrote:

iurs.info@gmail.com writes:

The Intelligent Systems Society (ISS) is a new organization

I'd like to start the Stupid Systems Society, or the Sophisticated
Systems Society; just for the acronym (SSS!).

Sorry, SSS is already taken by the Safety Systems Symposium. ;


OK, how about Stupid Safet Systems Society (SSSS!).

When I was at the ANU, we tried to form the ANU Systems Engineering
Society, but no one liked the resulting acronym.

Ciao,

Peter K.
Back to top
Peter K.
science forum beginner


Joined: 15 May 2005
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Call for papers Reply with quote

Jerry Avins <jya@ieee.org> writes:

Quote:

You want to watch out. You might be drafted to sit on the board!


Chairman, I hope. ;-)

Ciao,

Peter K.
Back to top
Jerry Avins
science forum Guru


Joined: 03 May 2005
Posts: 534

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: how to wire Allen Bradley SLC500 to 120V power? Reply with quote

Orc General wrote:
Quote:
"Mike Lamond" <NOSPAMm.lamond@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:e2nWe.46617$qY1.7516@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

"Chad" <cteub@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1126812649.281149.300750@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

Orc General wrote:

I am trying to learn this PLC and need to wire it to the wall outlet
(120V).
Could someone please tell me how its done. I am confused mainly

because

the
connector shows multiple pins. Here is what I seen when I opened the
main
power source.


PWR OUT +24VDC
PWR OUT COM
120/240VAC
VAC NEUT
CHASSIS GRND


I have a feeling the last three must be it, but don't want to do

anything

stupid and fry the unit by accident.

Your feeling is correct, with a pre-made cord it should wire black to
"120/240 VAC" white to "VAC Neut" and green to ground.


You also need to make sure the 120/240 volt jumper is in the 120 volt
position. As always, more information can be found by going to
http://www.ab.com/, then following the links to Publications Library -
Manuals On-line.

Mike



Oh wait, isn't AC power source the same on either wire? Why is black and
white wire being differentiated? I thought the two are interchangeable for
AC power?
Suppose I don't have a premade cable but only a cable with the three prongs
(ie. your standard computer power cable). How do I make sure the right wire
of the three goes to the correct pin?

Power is traditionally distributed as 240V centertapped. White is the
centertap, at most a few volts between it and a water pipe. Black is
"hot". That's why polarized plugs are required. Sometimes, when both run
together, blue or red is the other hot.

It's all in the code, which is a good thing to know about if you mess
with the stuff. How much current is allowed in a wired circuit using #12
wire? How much is allowed in a #12 extension cord? (It's not the same.)
If such restrictions are ignored and there's a fire, insurance might not
cover it.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Back to top
Mark
science forum addict


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: how to wire Allen Bradley SLC500 to 120V power? Reply with quote

"Orc General" <orc_general@hotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:QBnWe.3802$1G4.602478@news20.bellglobal.com...
Quote:

"Mike Lamond" <NOSPAMm.lamond@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:e2nWe.46617$qY1.7516@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

"Chad" <cteub@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1126812649.281149.300750@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

Orc General wrote:
I am trying to learn this PLC and need to wire it to the wall outlet
(120V).
Could someone please tell me how its done. I am confused mainly
because
the
connector shows multiple pins. Here is what I seen when I opened the
main
power source.


PWR OUT +24VDC
PWR OUT COM
120/240VAC
VAC NEUT
CHASSIS GRND


I have a feeling the last three must be it, but don't want to do
anything
stupid and fry the unit by accident.
Your feeling is correct, with a pre-made cord it should wire black to
"120/240 VAC" white to "VAC Neut" and green to ground.


You also need to make sure the 120/240 volt jumper is in the 120 volt
position. As always, more information can be found by going to
http://www.ab.com/, then following the links to Publications Library -
Manuals On-line.

Mike


Oh wait, isn't AC power source the same on either wire? Why is black and
white wire being differentiated? I thought the two are interchangeable
for
AC power?
Suppose I don't have a premade cable but only a cable with the three
prongs
(ie. your standard computer power cable). How do I make sure the right
wire
of the three goes to the correct pin?



Just cut the end off the computer power cable. In the US you will normally
find a black wire that measures 120 VAC to both ground (the green wire) and
neutral (the white wire). The ground and neutral are often tied together in
the breaker box.

With so much equipment coming from Asia, where they sell into worldwide
markets, the power cord you cut up may not have black, white, and green
wires. In this case the hot lead will be brown, the neutral will be blue,
and the ground will be green with a yellow trace.

Mark Walsh
Back to top
Orc General
science forum beginner


Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: how to wire Allen Bradley SLC500 to 120V power? Reply with quote

"Mike Lamond" <NOSPAMm.lamond@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:e2nWe.46617$qY1.7516@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
Quote:

"Chad" <cteub@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1126812649.281149.300750@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

Orc General wrote:
I am trying to learn this PLC and need to wire it to the wall outlet
(120V).
Could someone please tell me how its done. I am confused mainly
because
the
connector shows multiple pins. Here is what I seen when I opened the
main
power source.


PWR OUT +24VDC
PWR OUT COM
120/240VAC
VAC NEUT
CHASSIS GRND


I have a feeling the last three must be it, but don't want to do
anything
stupid and fry the unit by accident.
Your feeling is correct, with a pre-made cord it should wire black to
"120/240 VAC" white to "VAC Neut" and green to ground.


You also need to make sure the 120/240 volt jumper is in the 120 volt
position. As always, more information can be found by going to
http://www.ab.com/, then following the links to Publications Library -
Manuals On-line.

Mike


Oh wait, isn't AC power source the same on either wire? Why is black and
white wire being differentiated? I thought the two are interchangeable for
AC power?
Suppose I don't have a premade cable but only a cable with the three prongs
(ie. your standard computer power cable). How do I make sure the right wire
of the three goes to the correct pin?
Back to top
Orc General
science forum beginner


Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: how to wire Allen Bradley SLC500 to 120V power? Reply with quote

"Mark" <mwalsh@qwest.net> wrote in message
news:R1pWe.20$p13.3664@news.uswest.net...
Quote:



"Orc General" <orc_general@hotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:QBnWe.3802$1G4.602478@news20.bellglobal.com...

"Mike Lamond" <NOSPAMm.lamond@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:e2nWe.46617$qY1.7516@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

"Chad" <cteub@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1126812649.281149.300750@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

Orc General wrote:
I am trying to learn this PLC and need to wire it to the wall outlet
(120V).
Could someone please tell me how its done. I am confused mainly
because
the
connector shows multiple pins. Here is what I seen when I opened
the
main
power source.


PWR OUT +24VDC
PWR OUT COM
120/240VAC
VAC NEUT
CHASSIS GRND


I have a feeling the last three must be it, but don't want to do
anything
stupid and fry the unit by accident.
Your feeling is correct, with a pre-made cord it should wire black to
"120/240 VAC" white to "VAC Neut" and green to ground.


You also need to make sure the 120/240 volt jumper is in the 120 volt
position. As always, more information can be found by going to
http://www.ab.com/, then following the links to Publications Library -
Manuals On-line.

Mike


Oh wait, isn't AC power source the same on either wire? Why is black
and
white wire being differentiated? I thought the two are interchangeable
for
AC power?
Suppose I don't have a premade cable but only a cable with the three
prongs
(ie. your standard computer power cable). How do I make sure the right
wire
of the three goes to the correct pin?



Just cut the end off the computer power cable. In the US you will
normally
find a black wire that measures 120 VAC to both ground (the green wire)
and
neutral (the white wire). The ground and neutral are often tied together
in
the breaker box.

With so much equipment coming from Asia, where they sell into worldwide
markets, the power cord you cut up may not have black, white, and green
wires. In this case the hot lead will be brown, the neutral will be blue,
and the ground will be green with a yellow trace.

Mark Walsh



The wall plug (of a computer power cable) that goes into the wall outlet
(120V)

|++++++++++++++|
| |
| A B |
| # # |
| # C # |
| # # # |
| # |
| # |
| |
\++++++++++++/

Ok, just to recap. Once I cut the end off the computer cable, I should get
three conducting wire out of it. The important one is the one that goes to
ground, which
according the the diagram above should be the bottom middle one labeled as
'C'. The other two (A &B) goes to live AC 120V and polarity doesn't matter
(Canada). Right?
By the way, I will check continuity with a multimeter to make sure the wires
are correct. I just spend quite a bit of $ to pick up a AB SLC500 and
don't want
anything bad to happen to it.
Back to top
Mark
science forum addict


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: how to wire Allen Bradley SLC500 to 120V power? Reply with quote

"Orc General" <orc_general@hotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:BMpWe.3929$1G4.623183@news20.bellglobal.com...
Quote:

"Mark" <mwalsh@qwest.net> wrote in message
news:R1pWe.20$p13.3664@news.uswest.net...



"Orc General" <orc_general@hotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:QBnWe.3802$1G4.602478@news20.bellglobal.com...

"Mike Lamond" <NOSPAMm.lamond@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:e2nWe.46617$qY1.7516@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

"Chad" <cteub@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1126812649.281149.300750@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

Orc General wrote:
I am trying to learn this PLC and need to wire it to the wall
outlet
(120V).
Could someone please tell me how its done. I am confused mainly
because
the
connector shows multiple pins. Here is what I seen when I opened
the
main
power source.


PWR OUT +24VDC
PWR OUT COM
120/240VAC
VAC NEUT
CHASSIS GRND


I have a feeling the last three must be it, but don't want to do
anything
stupid and fry the unit by accident.
Your feeling is correct, with a pre-made cord it should wire black
to
"120/240 VAC" white to "VAC Neut" and green to ground.


You also need to make sure the 120/240 volt jumper is in the 120 volt
position. As always, more information can be found by going to
http://www.ab.com/, then following the links to Publications
Library -
Manuals On-line.

Mike


Oh wait, isn't AC power source the same on either wire? Why is black
and
white wire being differentiated? I thought the two are interchangeable
for
AC power?
Suppose I don't have a premade cable but only a cable with the three
prongs
(ie. your standard computer power cable). How do I make sure the right
wire
of the three goes to the correct pin?



Just cut the end off the computer power cable. In the US you will
normally
find a black wire that measures 120 VAC to both ground (the green wire)
and
neutral (the white wire). The ground and neutral are often tied together
in
the breaker box.

With so much equipment coming from Asia, where they sell into worldwide
markets, the power cord you cut up may not have black, white, and green
wires. In this case the hot lead will be brown, the neutral will be
blue,
and the ground will be green with a yellow trace.

Mark Walsh



The wall plug (of a computer power cable) that goes into the wall outlet
(120V)

|++++++++++++++|
| |
| A B |
| # # |
| # C # |
| # # # |
| # |
| # |
| |
\++++++++++++/

Ok, just to recap. Once I cut the end off the computer cable, I should
get
three conducting wire out of it. The important one is the one that goes
to
ground, which
according the the diagram above should be the bottom middle one labeled as
'C'. The other two (A &B) goes to live AC 120V and polarity doesn't
matter
(Canada). Right?
By the way, I will check continuity with a multimeter to make sure the
wires
are correct. I just spend quite a bit of $ to pick up a AB SLC500 and
don't want
anything bad to happen to it.



The wall plug (of a computer power cable) that goes into the wall outlet
(120V)

|++++++++++++++|
| |
| A B |
| # # |
| # # |
| # C # |
| # # |
| # |
| |
\++++++++++++/

Looking at the convenience outlet on the wall, A (the longer slot) is
neutral, B is the hot lead, C is the ground. As I recal, the electrical
codes in Canada are the same as the US.

Pick up a cheap meter, if you are working with PLC's it'll be handy. A to C
should be a few volts. A to B should read ~120 VAC. B to C should read ~120
VAC.

Mark Walsh
Back to top
Jerry Avins
science forum Guru


Joined: 03 May 2005
Posts: 534

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: how to wire Allen Bradley SLC500 to 120V power? Reply with quote

Orc General wrote:

...

Quote:
The wall plug (of a computer power cable) that goes into the wall outlet
(120V)

|++++++++++++++|
| |
| A B |
| # # |
| # C # |
| # # # |
| # |
| # |
| |
\++++++++++++/

It is best to use a fixed-width font for newsgroups, and almost
imperative for ASCII art of any kind. "Courier New" is a good choice.

...

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Back to top
steve sulis
science forum beginner


Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever Feel Like This When talking to your Equipment Rep? Reply with quote

You might also like this great animation if you havn't already seen it.

http://www.weakendproductions.co.uk/movs/jebsjobs.html

- Steve
Back to top
Google

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 12 of 14 [210 Posts] Goto page:  Previous  1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
The time now is Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:59 am | All times are GMT
Forum index » Science and Technology » Engineering » Control
Jump to:  

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts help on problem brb003 Math 0 Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:31 am
No new posts fraction problem mikerule Research 0 Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:10 am
No new posts Mod computer problem William Elliot Math 4 Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:07 pm
No new posts Divine apparitions in the tethered goat problem? jpalmour@gmail.com Math 6 Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:26 pm
No new posts possible to use Generalized Method of Moments for this pr... comtech Math 1 Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:49 am

Copyright © 2004-2005 DeniX Solutions SRL
Other DeniX Solutions sites: Electronics forum |  Medicine forum |  Unix/Linux blog |  Unix/Linux documentation |  Unix/Linux forums  |  send newsletters
 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.4917s ][ Queries: 16 (0.4613s) ][ GZIP on - Debug on ]