FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum index » Science and Technology » Engineering » Mechanics
shearing al
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
Anjali Pandit
science forum beginner


Joined: 27 Apr 2006
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: shearing al Reply with quote

Hello

Does anyone know the kind of forces needed to shear a 2mm thick sheet of aluminium ?

Also any ideas on the same - for sandwiches of aluminium alloy layers with fibre reinforced composite in the middle ?

Thanks

Anjali
Back to top
Tom Sanderson
science forum addict


Joined: 22 Dec 2005
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: shearing al Reply with quote

"Anjali Pandit" <eazap1@gwmail.nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know the kind of forces needed to shear a 2mm thick sheet of
aluminium ?

Depends on the alloy, temper, and the width of the sheet. Ultimate shear
strength for aluminum alloys (and most other common metals) is in MMPDS1
(http://www.bgu.ac.il/~zohary/Courses/Fracture_Mech/MMPDS1.pdf) It's on the
order of 20 ksi.

Multiple ultimate shear strength of your material by the area of the sheet
your cutting (2mm x width) should give you a rough approximation of the
force necessary.

Quote:
Also any ideas on the same - for sandwiches of aluminium alloy layers with
fibre reinforced composite in the middle ?

It would depend very strongly on the type of composite (type of fibers, type
of resin, and layup). You could start poking around the web for any work on
GLARE, which is the material you're describing. Airbus should know a bunch,
since they use it for the skins on their A380 airplane, but I suspect
anything they have is proprietary.

Tom.
Back to top
eromlignod
science forum addict


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: shearing al Reply with quote

Anjali Pandit wrote:
Quote:
Hello

Does anyone know the kind of forces needed to shear a 2mm thick sheet of aluminium ?

Also any ideas on the same - for sandwiches of aluminium alloy layers with fibre reinforced composite in the middle ?


It depends on the angle of your shear, if you are going to use a
scissor action when cutting. If you are simply chopping it off with a
straight blade, then the force is simply the cross sectional area being
cut multiplied by the shear strength of the material.

Don
Kansas City
Back to top
Harry Andreas
science forum beginner


Joined: 17 Aug 2005
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: shearing al Reply with quote

In article <IyE0Hq.B0E@news.boeing.com>, "Tom Sanderson"
<tdscanuck@yahoo.com> wrote:

Quote:
"Anjali Pandit" <eazap1@gwmail.nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:
Does anyone know the kind of forces needed to shear a 2mm thick sheet of
aluminium ?

Depends on the alloy, temper, and the width of the sheet. Ultimate shear
strength for aluminum alloys (and most other common metals) is in MMPDS1
(http://www.bgu.ac.il/~zohary/Courses/Fracture_Mech/MMPDS1.pdf) It's on the
order of 20 ksi.

Multiple ultimate shear strength of your material by the area of the sheet
your cutting (2mm x width) should give you a rough approximation of the
force necessary.

Also any ideas on the same - for sandwiches of aluminium alloy layers with
fibre reinforced composite in the middle ?

It would depend very strongly on the type of composite (type of fibers, type
of resin, and layup). You could start poking around the web for any work on
GLARE, which is the material you're describing. Airbus should know a bunch,
since they use it for the skins on their A380 airplane, but I suspect
anything they have is proprietary.

Contact Aviation Equipment Inc. in North Hollywood, CA (near Burbank airport)
They are using GLARE to fabricate noise compliant engine cowlings.
I've got a sample of their material in my lab.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Back to top
Anjali Pandit
science forum beginner


Joined: 27 Apr 2006
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: shearing al Reply with quote

Hi Harry,

I have been trying to get some Glare samples for a while now to do some basic characterisation and compare with some similar materials we are making in our university lab.
It seems to be cheaper to buy diamonds than to get some Glare.

Do you have a contact email/number for Aviations Equipment Inc ?

Are you doing any research on these materials ?

Cheers

Anjali
Back to top
Harry Andreas
science forum beginner


Joined: 17 Aug 2005
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: shearing al Reply with quote

In article <e37g4v$62q$1@oyez.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk>, "Anjali Pandit"
<eazap1@gwmail.nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:

Quote:
Hi Harry,

I have been trying to get some Glare samples for a while now to do some
basic characterisation and compare with some similar materials we are

making in our university lab.
Quote:
It seems to be cheaper to buy diamonds than to get some Glare.

Do you have a contact email/number for Aviations Equipment Inc ?

Are you doing any research on these materials ?

Anjali
The guy I know is named Kit Benson. He actually lives a couple of block
from me, although I don't see him much amymore.
Best to just call the company at 818-982-6700 and ask for the sales rep,
or email them at sales@avequip.com
They sent me a 4 foot x 4 foot piece of 3/2 GLARE 5, which is 0.100 inch thick.
We worked with it on a specific defense project that was reduced in scope
after start.
The material performed as advertised.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Back to top
Google

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
The time now is Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:50 am | All times are GMT
Forum index » Science and Technology » Engineering » Mechanics
Jump to:  


Copyright © 2004-2005 DeniX Solutions SRL
Other DeniX Solutions sites: Electronics forum |  Medicine forum |  Unix/Linux blog |  Unix/Linux documentation |  Unix/Linux forums  |  send newsletters
 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0136s ][ Queries: 11 (0.0021s) ][ GZIP on - Debug on ]