FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum index » Science and Technology » Math » Symbolic
Slowly MAXIMA in TeXmacs
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
Pike
science forum beginner


Joined: 30 May 2006
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Slowly MAXIMA in TeXmacs Reply with quote

dear all
when loading a 2 MB sav file into TeXmacs the echo of any input (typed) is
longer than 30 sec!.
I am running TexMacs on a 1 GB-Intel-machine 3GHz Pentium 4 on FC4.

Is there a way to speed it up?

Tks for any hint
Back to top
Andrey Grozin
science forum beginner


Joined: 08 Nov 2005
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Slowly MAXIMA in TeXmacs Reply with quote

Pike <captin.kirk@arcor.de> writes:

Quote:
when loading a 2 MB sav file into TeXmacs the echo of any input (typed) is
longer than 30 sec!.
I am running TexMacs on a 1 GB-Intel-machine 3GHz Pentium 4 on FC4.

Is there a way to speed it up?
Is your paper type set to papyrus? Finding optimal page breaks can take

a lot of time.

Andrey
Back to top
Pike
science forum beginner


Joined: 30 May 2006
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Slowly MAXIMA in TeXmacs Reply with quote

Andrey Grozin wrote:

Quote:
Pike <captin.kirk@arcor.de> writes:

when loading a 2 MB sav file into TeXmacs the echo of any input (typed)
is longer than 30 sec!.
I am running TexMacs on a 1 GB-Intel-machine 3GHz Pentium 4 on FC4.

Is there a way to speed it up?
Is your paper type set to papyrus? Finding optimal page breaks can take
a lot of time.

Andrey

dont know about that
i never changed anything
i just used Texmacs because of the graphical representation on the screen.
The emacs version does not offer enough space for my 10x10 matrices, each
element beeing a sum of 8 - 20 parts.

Where should i look to change that?

Ulrich
Back to top
Andrey Grozin
science forum beginner


Joined: 08 Nov 2005
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Slowly MAXIMA in TeXmacs Reply with quote

Cap_Kirk <captin.kirk@arcor.de> writes:
Quote:
Is your paper type set to papyrus? Finding optimal page breaks can take
a lot of time.
dont know about that
i never changed anything
...
Where should i look to change that?
Have a look at

Document -> Page -> Type

Andrey
Back to top
Alfie
science forum beginner


Joined: 02 Jun 2006
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Slowly MAXIMA in TeXmacs Reply with quote

Pike <captin.kirk@arcor.de> wrote:
Quote:
dear all
when loading a 2 MB sav file into TeXmacs the echo of any input (typed) is
longer than 30 sec!.
I am running TexMacs on a 1 GB-Intel-machine 3GHz Pentium 4 on FC4.

Is there a way to speed it up?

Rewrite it in C. Or try Scheme with the Stalin compiler.

The C++ approach is that developers' time is more important
than making the application efficient memory-wise or cpu-wise.
After all, people can just buy faster computers, right? Smile
Back to top
Pike
science forum beginner


Joined: 30 May 2006
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Slowly MAXIMA in TeXmacs Reply with quote

Alfie wrote:

Quote:
Pike <captin.kirk@arcor.de> wrote:
dear all
when loading a 2 MB sav file into TeXmacs the echo of any input (typed)
is longer than 30 sec!.
I am running TexMacs on a 1 GB-Intel-machine 3GHz Pentium 4 on FC4.

Is there a way to speed it up?

Rewrite it in C. Or try Scheme with the Stalin compiler.
what do you mean by "rewrite in C"?

I googled for Stalin Compiler, but this was not conclusive at all (at least
to me).
I am a poor FTN-number cruncher, my C is ok but LISP and C++ are no too
well...
Quote:

The C++ approach is that developers' time is more important
than making the application efficient memory-wise or cpu-wise.
After all, people can just buy faster computers, right? Smile
I doubt... three days ago a cancelled a simplification job after more than

90 hours. the job got more than 80 percent of the machine time....
Currently I am thinking of combining two or three machines.
Do you have any idea how to do that with MAXIMA and LINUX.
Back to top
Alfie
science forum beginner


Joined: 02 Jun 2006
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Slowly MAXIMA in TeXmacs Reply with quote

Pike <captin.kirk@arcor.de> wrote:
Quote:
Alfie wrote:

Pike <captin.kirk@arcor.de> wrote:
dear all
when loading a 2 MB sav file into TeXmacs the echo of any input (typed)
is longer than 30 sec!.
I am running TexMacs on a 1 GB-Intel-machine 3GHz Pentium 4 on FC4.

Is there a way to speed it up?

Rewrite it in C. Or try Scheme with the Stalin compiler.
what do you mean by "rewrite in C"?
I googled for Stalin Compiler, but this was not conclusive at all (at least
to me).
I am a poor FTN-number cruncher, my C is ok but LISP and C++ are no too
well...


I wasn't being helpful, and I apologize for my answer. I was venting
some frustration at the state of modern programming language development.


I do have a suggestion which might be helpful. There is another
frontend called wxMaxima. The input method for wxMaxima is not
as pretty as Texmacs, but it should respond quickly to your
typing.

You can find wxMaxima here: http://wxmaxima.sourceforge.net/


I hope this helps, and I wish you success with your calculations.
Back to top
Jaap Spies
science forum beginner


Joined: 03 Nov 2005
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Slowly MAXIMA in TeXmacs Reply with quote

Alfie wrote:
Quote:
Pike <captin.kirk@arcor.de> wrote:
Alfie wrote:

Pike <captin.kirk@arcor.de> wrote:
dear all
when loading a 2 MB sav file into TeXmacs the echo of any input (typed)
is longer than 30 sec!.
I am running TexMacs on a 1 GB-Intel-machine 3GHz Pentium 4 on FC4.

Is there a way to speed it up?
Rewrite it in C. Or try Scheme with the Stalin compiler.
what do you mean by "rewrite in C"?
I googled for Stalin Compiler, but this was not conclusive at all (at least
to me).
I am a poor FTN-number cruncher, my C is ok but LISP and C++ are no too
well...


I wasn't being helpful, and I apologize for my answer. I was venting
some frustration at the state of modern programming language development.


I do have a suggestion which might be helpful. There is another
frontend called wxMaxima. The input method for wxMaxima is not
as pretty as Texmacs, but it should respond quickly to your
typing.

You can find wxMaxima here: http://wxmaxima.sourceforge.net/


I hope this helps, and I wish you success with your calculations.

There is still an other way of using maxima in a mathematics oriented
environment: SAGE (Software for Algebra and Geometry Experimentation)
includes among other (free) mathematical programs Maxima.

See http://modular.math.washington.edu/sage/index.html

This is an amazing project, worth looking at.

Jaap Spies
Back to top
Pike
science forum beginner


Joined: 30 May 2006
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Slowly MAXIMA in TeXmacs Reply with quote

Alfie wrote:


Quote:

You can find wxMaxima here: http://wxmaxima.sourceforge.net/


I hope this helps, and I wish you success with your calculations.

I am using this also,but my 10x10 Matrix with e/a element being a long
polynom just gives a ten page unreadable output.

Meanwhile I used my brain instead of my computer. Amazing. The results are
much better...

btw
is there an implementation of the ei(x) -Function exponential integral in
Maxima?
in my help menu this function shows up with an ?.

Tks.

U.
Back to top
Pike
science forum beginner


Joined: 30 May 2006
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Slowly MAXIMA in TeXmacs Reply with quote

Andrey Grozin wrote:

Quote:
Cap_Kirk <captin.kirk@arcor.de> writes:
Is your paper type set to papyrus? Finding optimal page breaks can take
a lot of time.
dont know about that
i never changed anything
...
Where should i look to change that?
Have a look at
Document -> Page -> Type

Andrey
tks.

now I set it to paper and I am curious what will happen ....
U.
Back to top
Peter Pein
science forum addict


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 56

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Slowly MAXIMA in TeXmacs Reply with quote

Cap_Kirk schrieb:
Quote:
Alfie wrote:


You can find wxMaxima here: http://wxmaxima.sourceforge.net/


I hope this helps, and I wish you success with your calculations.

I am using this also,but my 10x10 Matrix with e/a element being a long
polynom just gives a ten page unreadable output.

Meanwhile I used my brain instead of my computer. Amazing. The results are
much better...

btw
is there an implementation of the ei(x) -Function exponential integral in
Maxima?
in my help menu this function shows up with an ?.

Tks.

U.

Seems as if it's unknown to Maxima 5.9.3:

(%i1) ode2('diff(f,z)=exp(z)/z,f,z);
/ z
[ %e
(%o1) f = I --- dz + %c
] z
/
(%i2)
Back to top
Peter Pein
science forum addict


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 56

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Slowly MAXIMA in TeXmacs Reply with quote

Cap_Kirk schrieb:
Quote:
Alfie wrote:


You can find wxMaxima here: http://wxmaxima.sourceforge.net/


I hope this helps, and I wish you success with your calculations.

I am using this also,but my 10x10 Matrix with e/a element being a long
polynom just gives a ten page unreadable output.

Meanwhile I used my brain instead of my computer. Amazing. The results are
much better...

btw
is there an implementation of the ei(x) -Function exponential integral in
Maxima?
in my help menu this function shows up with an ?.

Tks.

U.
seems unknown to Maxima 5.9.3:


(%i1) ode2('diff(f,z)=exp(z)/z,f,z);
/ z
[ %e
(%o1) f = I --- dz + %c
] z
/
(%i2)
Back to top
Jens Axel Søgaard
science forum beginner


Joined: 08 May 2005
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Slowly MAXIMA in TeXmacs Reply with quote

Pike wrote:
Quote:
Alfie wrote:
Pike <captin.kirk@arcor.de> wrote:

Is there a way to speed it up?

Rewrite it in C. Or try Scheme with the Stalin compiler.

what do you mean by "rewrite in C"?
I googled for Stalin Compiler, but this was not conclusive at all (at least
to me).

The Staling Scheme compiler can be found here

<http://community.schemewiki.org/?Stalin>

Stalin produces *very* fast binaries - the price is very
slow compilation. Due to this I consider it a compiler
mostly for those that know their Scheme well.

--
Jens Axel Søgaard
Back to top
Google

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
The time now is Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:56 pm | All times are GMT
Forum index » Science and Technology » Math » Symbolic
Jump to:  

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts maxima again... jimmij Symbolic 3 Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:28 pm
No new posts maxima problem jimmij Symbolic 2 Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:55 am
No new posts Apparent Bug In "Permutations" Function In Maxima 5.9.3 Mark Lawton Symbolic 2 Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:31 am
No new posts recompiling Maxima with ABCL (Lisp implemented in Java) robert.dodier@gmail.com Symbolic 3 Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:02 am
No new posts Question on slowly varying functions ManOfLight Math 1 Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:58 am

Copyright © 2004-2005 DeniX Solutions SRL
Other DeniX Solutions sites: Electronics forum |  Medicine forum |  Unix/Linux blog |  Unix/Linux documentation |  Unix/Linux forums  |  send newsletters
 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0288s ][ Queries: 16 (0.0046s) ][ GZIP on - Debug on ]