FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum index » Science and Technology » Physics » Acoustics
Noise monitoruing during Lunch breaks
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
estudioacustico@terra.cl1
science forum beginner


Joined: 14 Nov 2005
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Noise monitoruing during Lunch breaks Reply with quote

I need opinions about if neccesary take noise measurements during
lunch, for worker dosimetry. I read a paper that said that in this time
the measurement unit had to be paused. In my experience, lunch time is
quieter than work time, then, isnīt relevant for results.
Thanks
Back to top
Raoul Duke
science forum beginner


Joined: 03 Oct 2005
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Noise monitoruing during Lunch breaks Reply with quote

estudioacustico@terra.cl wrote in news:1149008730.261511.151320
@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Quote:
I need opinions about if neccesary take noise measurements during
lunch, for worker dosimetry. I read a paper that said that in this time
the measurement unit had to be paused. In my experience, lunch time is
quieter than work time, then, isnīt relevant for results.
Thanks



In my experience that's when the workers go out to their vehicles and crank
up the tune while they eat their lunch! You want the daily dose and if
necessary you may or may not include the time allotted for breaks.
Peter Davis
Faszer Farquharson & Associates Ltd.
Back to top
Tony177
science forum Guru Wannabe


Joined: 07 Sep 2005
Posts: 111

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Noise monitoruing during Lunch breaks Reply with quote

"Ergonaut" <RaoulDuke@PoloLounge.ca> wrote in message
news:Xns97D3721F2D046RaoulDukePoloLoungec@198.80.55.250...
Quote:
estudioacustico@terra.cl wrote in news:1149008730.261511.151320
@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I need opinions about if neccesary take noise measurements during
lunch, for worker dosimetry. I read a paper that said that in this time
the measurement unit had to be paused. In my experience, lunch time is
quieter than work time, then, isnīt relevant for results.
Thanks

In my experience that's when the workers go out to their vehicles and
crank
up the tune while they eat their lunch! You want the daily dose and if
necessary you may or may not include the time allotted for breaks.
Peter Davis
Faszer Farquharson & Associates Ltd.

Modern dosemeters give a time history of the noise exposure. This is
essential unless you watch the people being monitored all the time. For
various reasons, people might try to minimise or maximise the measured noise
exposure. I have experience of both these, but a time history of the noise
will usually pick up anything odd going on, and will of course allow you to
separately account for the exposure during lunch break.

--
Tony Woolf
Tony Woolf Acoustics
17 Canfield Gardens, London NW6 3JP
Tel. 020 7624 2512 Fax 020 7372 3054
Back to top
estudioacustico@terra.cl1
science forum beginner


Joined: 14 Nov 2005
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Noise monitoruing during Lunch breaks Reply with quote

Quote:
Modern dosemeters give a time history of the noise exposure. This is
essential unless you watch the people being monitored all the time. For
various reasons, people might try to minimise or maximise the measured noise
exposure. I have experience of both these, but a time history of the noise
will usually pick up anything odd going on, and will of course allow you to
separately account for the exposure during lunch break.

--
Tony Woolf
Tony Woolf Acoustics
17 Canfield Gardens, London NW6 3JP
Tel. 020 7624 2512 Fax 020 7372 3054

Hi Tony:
you are right, we work with dosemeters with datalogger. But we had some
problems with clients and collegues about that. But, i think, generally
lunch time, noise level are lower than work time, and these can be
ignored.
Noise Levels History is a very useful tool too.

Thanks and luck
Back to top
Noral Stewart
science forum addict


Joined: 23 May 2005
Posts: 77

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Noise monitoruing during Lunch breaks Reply with quote

If the sound exposure during the lunch is insignificant, then it will not
add to the dose, so the indicated dose for the day will be correct, and TWA
computed from that will be correct. However, instruments also commonly show
an average level for the monitored period, and that level would be lower for
a period including a quiet lunch than for a shorter period without the quiet
lunch.
<estudioacustico@terra.cl> wrote in message
news:1149128856.386402.312030@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...
Quote:

Modern dosemeters give a time history of the noise exposure. This is
essential unless you watch the people being monitored all the time. For
various reasons, people might try to minimise or maximise the measured
noise
exposure. I have experience of both these, but a time history of the
noise
will usually pick up anything odd going on, and will of course allow you
to
separately account for the exposure during lunch break.

--
Tony Woolf
Tony Woolf Acoustics
17 Canfield Gardens, London NW6 3JP
Tel. 020 7624 2512 Fax 020 7372 3054

Hi Tony:
you are right, we work with dosemeters with datalogger. But we had some
problems with clients and collegues about that. But, i think, generally
lunch time, noise level are lower than work time, and these can be
ignored.
Noise Levels History is a very useful tool too.

Thanks and luck
Back to top
Angelo Campanella
science forum Guru Wannabe


Joined: 08 May 2005
Posts: 226

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Noise monitoruing during Lunch breaks Reply with quote

Quote:
estudioacustico@terra.cl wrote in news:1149008730.261511.151320
@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
I need opinions about if neccesary take noise measurements during
lunch, for worker dosimetry. I read a paper that said that in this time
the measurement unit had to be paused. In my experience, lunch time is
quieter than work time, then, isnīt relevant for results.

The original intent of this overall procedure was to determine the
employer's liability in causing hearing damage resulting in hearing
loss. What the employee did on his or her own time (recreation, lunch,
home, etc.) was not a matter of concern to OSHA and the employer. Thus,
lunch break noise exposure was and still is not to be counted.

If you want to measure that separately, then do so.

The general pinion has been that this noise exposure is small and of
less concern. But as many point out, it is possible that the employee
can be exposed to significant sound levels during that time.

Ultimately, the measurement protocol referenced was aimed at producing
data that could be used for noise reduction design and implementation.
Thus, any off job task noise exposure becomes a red herring for noise
control engineering and test.

Angelo Campanula.
Back to top
Google

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
The time now is Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:09 am | All times are GMT
Forum index » Science and Technology » Physics » Acoustics
Jump to:  

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Noise Measurments of Enclosed Power generator according t... Christos Koutsodimakis - Acoustics 5 Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:42 am
No new posts Measuring Background Noise Doug Acoustics 3 Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:53 pm
No new posts Soundproof Box for Sleeping (to protect against noise fro... mflll@wiu.edu Acoustics 3 Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:46 pm
No new posts Dosimeters for police noise enforcement? Herb Singleton Acoustics 10 Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:02 pm
No new posts guidance for an undergraduate project in active noise con... varsha.shewale@gmail.com1 Acoustics 0 Wed May 31, 2006 10:01 am

Copyright © 2004-2005 DeniX Solutions SRL
Other DeniX Solutions sites: Electronics forum |  Medicine forum |  Unix/Linux blog |  Unix/Linux documentation |  Unix/Linux forums  |  send newsletters
 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0205s ][ Queries: 16 (0.0032s) ][ GZIP on - Debug on ]