FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum index » Science and Technology » Engineering » Mechanics
FxT2 Material
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
Rich Grise
science forum addict


Joined: 19 May 2005
Posts: 69

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: FxT2 Material Reply with quote

Anyone ever heard of this material? I presume it's some metal alloy - the
PHB poked his head into my office and said, "Find out what you can about
this material." I've found _one_ reference to it on the internet, at
http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/0196bp2.html ,
but it only refers in passing. I'm not an ME, I'm only playing tool
designer, so I don't know what "38-42 Rc" means; the PHB seemed to accept
that (the "38-42 Rc" info), but was asking about cutting speed, and wants
to know whatever he can find out.

So, does anybody have this material's properties memorized, or know where
to look it up, or maybe even a vendor?

Thanks,
Rich
Back to top
eromlignod
science forum addict


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: FxT2 Material Reply with quote

Rich Grise wrote:
Quote:
Anyone ever heard of this material? I presume it's some metal alloy - the
PHB poked his head into my office and said, "Find out what you can about
this material." I've found _one_ reference to it on the internet, at
http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/0196bp2.html ,
but it only refers in passing. I'm not an ME, I'm only playing tool
designer, so I don't know what "38-42 Rc" means; the PHB seemed to accept
that (the "38-42 Rc" info), but was asking about cutting speed, and wants
to know whatever he can find out.

So, does anybody have this material's properties memorized, or know where
to look it up, or maybe even a vendor?


I'm not sure about the material spec., but "38-42 Rc" means the
material has a surface hardness of between 38 and 42 Rockwell, C-scale.
That's about the hardness of an alloy steel like 4140 heat-treat.
It's hard, but machinable.

Don
Kansas City
Back to top
Rich Grise
science forum addict


Joined: 19 May 2005
Posts: 69

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: FxT2 Material Reply with quote

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:35:38 -0700, eromlignod wrote:

Quote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Anyone ever heard of this material? I presume it's some metal alloy - the
PHB poked his head into my office and said, "Find out what you can about
this material." I've found _one_ reference to it on the internet, at
http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/0196bp2.html ,
but it only refers in passing. I'm not an ME, I'm only playing tool
designer, so I don't know what "38-42 Rc" means; the PHB seemed to accept
that (the "38-42 Rc" info), but was asking about cutting speed, and wants
to know whatever he can find out.

So, does anybody have this material's properties memorized, or know where
to look it up, or maybe even a vendor?


I'm not sure about the material spec., but "38-42 Rc" means the
material has a surface hardness of between 38 and 42 Rockwell, C-scale.
That's about the hardness of an alloy steel like 4140 heat-treat.
It's hard, but machinable.


Thanks!
Rich
Back to top
BobK207
science forum addict


Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: FxT2 Material Reply with quote

Rich Grise wrote:
Quote:
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:35:38 -0700, eromlignod wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:
Anyone ever heard of this material? I presume it's some metal alloy - the
PHB poked his head into my office and said, "Find out what you can about
this material." I've found _one_ reference to it on the internet, at
http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/0196bp2.html ,
but it only refers in passing. I'm not an ME, I'm only playing tool
designer, so I don't know what "38-42 Rc" means; the PHB seemed to accept
that (the "38-42 Rc" info), but was asking about cutting speed, and wants
to know whatever he can find out.

So, does anybody have this material's properties memorized, or know where
to look it up, or maybe even a vendor?


I'm not sure about the material spec., but "38-42 Rc" means the
material has a surface hardness of between 38 and 42 Rockwell, C-scale.
That's about the hardness of an alloy steel like 4140 heat-treat.
It's hard, but machinable.


Thanks!
Rich


RIch-

I'll bet it is a proprietary tool steel of some sort

I found additional reference to it

here's the link

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:y07mqKQl6GUJ:www.tool-mouldmaking.com/magazine/magdetail.php%3FcurPage%3D3%26issue%3D155+%22tool+steel%22+fxt2&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

FXT2/H13 PH

H13 is tool steel & PH (I assume) means percipation hardening; which
makes sense
I'm guessing FXT2 is some sort of H13 tweak.

My suggestion is to call around to tool steel distributors &
ask....tell them the PHB story & they should be pretty helpful

and here's a copy & past of the section in case the link doesn't work

Presrite (www.presrite.com), founded in 1972, currently employs 400
workers and runs 30 lathes and mills. It operates in various
industries, including off-highway, automotive, aerospace, railroad,
agricultural, material handling, energy and mining. The company isn't
your typical "heat it and beat it" forge shop and has always been in
the forefront by investing in new technology and making advancements in
its manufacturing processes.

On this particular project, Presrite needed to develop new methods for
manufacturing dies out of FXT2/H13 PH. Previously, this process had
been limited. To produce the five dies a week, it needed a new system.
After analyzing the process and making its changes, the company
contacted Iscar Metals Inc. to upgrade its tooling for the project. Its
Iscar rep suggested the new FeedMill-a great family of tools for mold
and die applications.


good luck

Bob
Back to top
Google

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
The time now is Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:05 am | All times are GMT
Forum index » Science and Technology » Engineering » Mechanics
Jump to:  

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Liquid Heat Pipe Design, Orientation & Wicking Material wwswimming@yahoo.com Mechanics 7 Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:59 pm
No new posts I'm looking for some informations about Alq3 (material us... planck Research 1 Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:18 am
No new posts Why MORE dielectrical material has permittivy of empty sp... guskz@hotmail.com Relativity 41 Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:01 am
No new posts winch design with emphasis on material selection moran Mechanics 0 Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:36 am
No new posts Ritz ballistic emission theory material fritzius@bellsouth.net Relativity 106 Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:10 pm

Copyright © 2004-2005 DeniX Solutions SRL
Other DeniX Solutions sites: Electronics forum |  Medicine forum |  Unix/Linux blog |  Unix/Linux documentation |  Unix/Linux forums  |  send newsletters
 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0197s ][ Queries: 16 (0.0035s) ][ GZIP on - Debug on ]