FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum index » Science and Technology » Math » Undergraduate
infinite schema. (logic)
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Alon
science forum beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: infinite schema. (logic) Reply with quote

is there a general way to prove that a wff is satisfiable by every infinite domian but not by finite domain?
David C. Ullrich
science forum Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: infinite schema. (logic) Reply with quote

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:34:50 EDT, Alon <alon_brookray@walla.com>
wrote:

Quote:
is there a general way to prove that a wff is satisfiable by every infinite domian but not by finite domain?

I think you need to rephrase the question slightly - I can't figure
out exactly what it means for a wff to be "satisfiable" in a given
domain.

There are certainly wffs that have infinite models but no
finite models, for example a wff that "says" that R(x,y)
is a linear order with no largest element. (Of course
that wff is not true in every infinite domain - hence
my confusion about "satisfiable in every infinite domain".)

David C. Ullrich
Alon
science forum beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: infinite schema. (logic) Reply with quote

i mean that if you are given a specific wff, and you need to determine is it satisfiable in an infinite domain but not finite or is it satisfiable by a finite domain but not by an infinite domain, is there a general way to determine or you should evaluate every wff as specific cases?
Google

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
The time now is Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:22 am | All times are GMT
Forum index » Science and Technology » Math » Undergraduate
Jump to: